Harties.net (PTY) Ltd
|HUNDREDS of daily LOCAL views - THOUSANDS of monthly LOYAL readers!||THE MOST POPULAR ATTRACTION IN HARTIES!|
10 Ways To Have A Better Conversation - By Celeste Headlee (TED Talks)
"Prepare to be amazed" is the catch phrase Celeste Headlee ends her TED Talk presentation on. The relevance is to the person you are listening to, because "everyone knows something that you don't".
This time we share Celeste's ideas about havin a better converstation. This is one of our IDEAS WORTH SHARING articles where we highlight some of the best TED Talk presentations. A ususual, each of these presentations has the potential to change the life of the avid listener for the better.
The following link will take you directly to the 12 minute presentation:
The following were some of the ideas shared:
- When having a conversation one must set aside oneself.
- Always assume you have something to learn
- Talk should not be cheap
- All experiences are individual. It is never the same.
- Conversations are not self-promotional opportunities.
- You are not learning when your mouth is open.
- No man ever listened his way out of a job.
- We would rather talk than listen, because it places us in control.
- We can listen at 500 words per minute, but talk ony at 225 words per minute - so we become easily distracted.
Now here are the 10 points to consider - as explained in her presentation:
1) Don't multi-task
2) Don't pontificate
3) Use open ended questions
4) Go with the flow
5) If you don't know - say that you don't know
6) Don't equate your experience
7) Try not to repeat yourself
8) Stay out of the weeds (too much detail)
10) Be brief